Friday, October 22, 2010

General Conference

I had a great time tweeting conference earlier this month. It was a pretty amazing experience. I watched every session, didn't fall asleep during any of them, and got great messages out of them.

I have an archive of about 20,000 tweets with the #ldsconf hashtag. I've played around with it a little and will be posting soon some analysis of it. I plan on doing a comparison of what people were tweeting about compared to what each speaker's talk was about. I'll probably start with a more general word analysis first, then be a little more thorough on certain talks. I just think it would be interesting to see how well the message people were getting matched up with what the speakers were actually saying.

Just to throw out something to think about while waiting for further analysis, the top words, each with over 400 appearances are:

s
elder
god
conference
love
t
monson
president
know
good
prophet
pres
life
church
time
just
holy
uchtdorf
faith
like
packer
need
ghost
m
lord
children
work
today
don
family
christ
world
things
talk
weekend
gratitude
great

Those are in highest frequency to lowest frequency order, but I've left off the numbers, so it doesn't distract too much. It's interesting that the three standalone letters are the prophet's initials, TSM, and they also happen to be letters that commonly show up after an apostrophe. I'm assuming that's why the word "don" made the list, as it should have probably been "don't". I may have to try stripping out apostrophes and running the numbers again to see how that changes things.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment